Monday, July 4, 2011

Pulled Pork, BBQ Sauce and BBQ Portobellos


Well, I lost a bet.  The result being slow cooker pulled pork. I wanted to share the recipe even though it is not MY favorite recipe, because everyone else loves it so much.  My new favorite sandwich (vegan and made with the same BBQ sauce) is at the bottom.  As soon as I lost the bet this was the very first request, that should give you a hint about how good it is! It's also super easy like most everything I make.  :-)

Ingredients:
3Lbs Pork.  (I've used loin, very lean and tender and shoulder, which is much cheaper)
1 Yellow onion
1C BBQ sauce (recipe follows)
1 bottle of beer

Method:
1. Sear the pork in a very hot skillet on all sides. This should only take a couple of minutes.
2. Slice the onion and layer it on the bottom of the slow cooker.  Put the seared pork on top of the onions.  Pork the beer over the pork, then top with BBQ sauce.
3.  Cook on low 6-8 hours in the slow cooker. Cool and pull!

BBQ Sauce Recipe:
Adapted from Moria, who adapted it from a magazine..we're not sure which one.  :-D


Ingredients:
2 Shallots, minced
1/2 C Ketchup
1/3C worcestershire sauce (Annies is Vegan)
1/3C apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs dijon mustard
1Tbs Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup molasses
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch Salt and Pepper

Method
1. Saute shallots over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add all other ingredients and simmer gently for a couple of minutes (about 5)
3.  Blend with an immersion blender (or in a standard blender) until smooth.
4. Enjoy! ;-)


I LOVED the BBQ sauce but I'm not a big fan of the pulled pork (really meat in general) so I decided to make something vegan with the BBQ sauce.  It turned into "The Best Sammich EVAR".  

To make it I marinated a portobello mushroom with 1/4C of the BBQ sauce thinned with 1/4C water for about 15 minutes.  I cooked the mushroom over medium-high heat in a grill pan until it was browned and cooked through.  I sliced it and layered it with more of the BBQ sauce, baby spinach and sliced red onions on a sour roll.  If you know (or are!) a "mushroom hater" you should definitely try out BBQ portobellos.  They turned out so savory and filling.  I want another sammich now.... 

*tummy rumblings*





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mm, I'm a huge BBQ sauce fan as well. And on portobellos? That sounds perfect! More of your recipes to put on my to-make list :)

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

That sounds absolutely delicious. I am not a fan of pulled pork or huge meat sandwiches either, but this sounds yummy.

Hope you can come by and this recipe at Foodie Wednesday
http://www.frugalwannabecooks.com/2011/02/blue-cheese-wedge-salad.html

karina said...

i used to think i hated mushrooms....then i tried marinating them and baking them and it was love at first bite :) ill have to try grilling them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...