Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fresh Tomato Soup!

I'm over-run with tomatoes.  A new bunch comes every week in my CSA box.  

Unfortunately, I still don't like uncooked tomatoes, and I have filled my freezer with container upon container of Mom's tomato sauce.  I've eaten the sauce twice each week.  And still, the tomatoes keep coming!

Trying to think of a new way to use (and cook) my never-ending supply of I came up with this recipe for fresh tomato soup.  It worked out really well and ended up being simple, fast and tasting like a very fresh tomato --only cooked :-D.

Just a warning, while I really liked how this soup turned out, it's not a traditional tomato soup.  It's not creamy or as savory as the canned (boxed?) variety.

Ingredients
6 medium fresh tomatoes
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1Tbs olive oil
2C vegetable stock
Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.  (I used about 1/2tsp each)

Method
Remove the stems from the tomatoes and cut into quarters. Dice onion and smash the garlic.

Saute the diced onion and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the quartered tomatoes and the veggie stock and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Blend with an immersion blender (or carefully in a traditional blender).  Add salt and pepper (and cayenne!) to taste.

Garnish with fresh lemon, basil or parsley.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...