Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vacuum Fried Banana Chips!?!

I've been in such an awful food rut recently I decided to just go to Trader Joes and pick up a couple items that I have never tried before, then think of ways to use them. 

Enter vacuum fried banana chips.  Honestly, I was mostly attracted to the bag.  It's silver and shiny and you can't see what is inside so it's kind of mysterious!  I love shiny things and mystery.

These bad boys were $1.99 at trader joes for 4oz, which according to the bag is 4 servings.  I ate half of them on the drive home from the store.  Ooops.  They are 140 calories per servings and only contain two ingredients: bananas and palm oil.  I know palm oil is controversial, but I WAS glad to see that there was no added salt, sugar or artificial preservatives/colors/what not. 

Supposedly they have half of the fat of "other banana chips", but honestly I've never tried other banana chips.  I could taste a bit of oily-ness too them, but definitely not as bad as most "chips".  That's about the only negative thing I can say about them, though.  They are super crunchy and naturally sweet (but not too sweet!).  I really, really love them. Probably why I ate half on the way home from the store.  :-)


I did manage to control myself for a little bit and use some of the chips for something OTHER than just snacking.  :-)

For instance, I love bananas on my yogurt or oatmeal in the morning.  The flavors really compliment each other, but they can kinda seem like, mush topped with mush and more mush (when I use peanut butter).  So, I crunched up some chips and use them instead of a fresh banana.  While more calories/fat than a normal banana, I LOVED the crunch they added! They even stayed crunchy throughout the entire bowl. 

Mmmmm.  I'll be buying these again to use in peanut butter sandwiches and in the morning, but I probably won't buy them every time I go to the store because I would certainly eat them all too fast.  :-)

Vintage Maeby!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...