Thursday, June 9, 2011

Skillet Cornbread


I haven't been very inspired to cook much recently, so this recipe is from when I made my mom's baked beans. I've been living off of roasted veggies and take-out. Sometimes I just get into a funk. I NEED to start eating better/healthier though as I keep feeling super sluggish! How do you get out of cooking funks?

This cornbread isn't the absolute best cornbread I've ever eaten, but it is super easy, fast, vegan, made from pantry staples and still freakin' delicious. Also, it is a sweet cornbread. If you omit the honey and add some savory spices and jalapenos I'm sure it would be delicious as well.

Best of all? It only messes up two bowls and a non-stick skillet (which you can just wipe out). Awesome for us lazies I tell you, awesome!

I based my recipe on Peggy's skillet cornbread recipe found here.

PS.  I just found her blog and I LOVE it.  Check it out.  

First you mix wet and dry, separately.  
Then, mix them together and pour into a pre-heated skillet.  

Bake for a short bit (15 min). 
And enjoy!


print recipe
Skillet Cornbread
An easy vegan cornbread. Sweet style.
Ingredients
  • 1C Cornmeal
  • 1/2C Whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 1tsp Baking powder
  • 1tsp Baking soda
  • 1C Soy milk
  • 1Tbs Lemon Juice
  • 1/4C Applesauce
  • 2Tbs Honey
  • 2Tbs Vegan butter, melted
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400F and heat a 9" nonstick (or greased conventional) skillet. 2. Mix soy milk and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl, set aside. 3. Sift together corn meal, flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Whisk applesauce, honey and melted vegan butter into the soy milk mixture.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredient, add the wet ingredients to the center and mix until combined. 6. Carefully remove the heating skilled from the oven and pour in the batter. 7. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool and enjoy served with vegan butter and honey!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 slices

4 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Your skillet cornbread looks scrumpy and healthy!

Anonymous said...

This looks so easy! And I get in cooking funks all the time--I find that it helps to start with something fun, even if not necessarily healthy, like cookies! Who can't get excited about/inspired by cookies??

Also, I MADE YOUR PRETZEL DOGS and have expressed by obsessive love for them on my blog :D

Peggy said...

Aww I'm glad you liked the recipe! And thanks for the shout out. It's my first time here, but I can tell I'll be a regular =)

Dreams of cakes said...

This bread looks delicious. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...