Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemon Barley Stew

I almost didn't post this recipe.  It's one of those "throw together whatever I had on hand" recipes.  But, I've been told this is when I am my best in the kitchen.  I also devoured this entire pot in a day and a half, it was that delicious!  Because I wasn't planning on posting it the picture is just from the iPhone.  It isn't particularly pretty anyways, but if you are craving a summery soup that is vegan and healthy you must try it!



print recipe

Lemon Barley Stew
Easy, delicious summery stew. Vegan!
Ingredients
  • 4C Vegetable Broth
  • 1, halved Lemon
  • 1 small Onion, diced
  • 2 Yukon gold Potato, diced
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 large cap Portobello Mushroom, diced
  • 1/2C Pearl Barley
  • 2Tbs Baby Spinach
  • to taste Salt and Pepper
Instructions
1. Bring veggie broth and lemon halves to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes. You'll want to try to use an organic lemon here, if possible, as you are putting the entire thing in the broth. I also squeeze the juice of the lemon into the stock before throwing it in. 2. Strain stock into a bowl and save. 3. To the same pot, add a bit of olive oil, or butter and saute the onion and potatoes until the onions are slightly caramelized and translucent. 4. Add the Portobello, barley and garlic to the pot along with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Continue sauteing the mixture until the Portobello bits begin to brown. 5. Add the veggie broth back into the pot, bring to a boil, and simmer until the potatoes are tender. 6. Mix in the spinach until it is wilted. Serve!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

8 comments:

Jodie said...

Man Karla, ever recipe you post I want to try...this is a must. I also have to stop looking at your blog when I'm hungry! Sooooo hungry :-)

Karla said...

Jodie! It is SO good. I love soup and hate giving it up for summer. The lemon totally makes it "summery" enough. :-D

Allison @ PickyEatingRD said...

Oh thanks for stopping by my blog! I am sooo the summer soup girl!! Lucky for me my office is always freeezing and soups are totally acceptable and needed. This recipe looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm making this this weekend! I have a really cold office too, so soup is perfect for lunch.

Errign said...

I've never cooked with barley before - this looks good though!

Karla said...

Errign, this is the perfect recipe to start with because you can't really mess it up. There is no measuring a precise amount of liquid to cook the barley, just be sure to use pearl so it doesn't take too long to cook! If you use a different kind of barley (one with more of the husk left on) just add a little (1/2C-1C) more liquid and cook longer. They are more nutritious that way, but take longer and I am impatient. :-D

Angie's Recipes said...

This sounds so interesting and looks delicious as well.

Peggy said...

This sounds like such a great soup! The flavors are definitely calling my name!

And p.s. - I'm training for a half marathon in October, but I'm still in the beginning stages, so I'm only running about a mile and a half at a time at the moment, but I'm impressed with my times so far!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...