Monday, May 2, 2011

Zucchini Bread, Healthified (kinda)

This week I received a bunch of beautiful zucchinis in my CSA box.  Zucchinis remind me of home--they were always overrunning the veggie gardens.  I enjoyed trying to think of ways to use all of them.  I was especially proud to manage to fit one into a dish that a certified zucchini hater (Mr. C) would eat, my gallo pinto!  

After a series of restless nights with some awful dreams (including one where Max (see below, right) was terribly beat up), I really wanted to make some comforting food. 


Well, long story short, I snuck some more zucchinis into Mr. C's diet and made a healthy-ish dessert bread that is really great AND comforting ..and vegan......and easy. :-) 

I might have put some dark chocolate chips in Mr. C's to make it more appealing to the veggie hater.

Hope everyone's dreams are better than mine have been! 

Vegan Zucchini Bread





print recipe

Zucchini Bread
My recipe for vegan zucchini bread.
Ingredients
  • 6Tbs Ground Flaxseeds
  • 1/2C +1Tbs Warm Water
  • 1/2C Oil
  • 1/2C Applesauce, unsweetened
  • 2C Raw Sugar
  • 1Tsp Vanilla
  • 3 (medium) Zucchinis, grated
  • 3C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1Tsp Salt
  • 1Tbs Baking Soda
  • 1Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1Tbs Cinnamon
  • 1Tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/2Tsp Allspice
  • 1/2-1C Chocolate Chips
Instructions
1.) Prep: Whisk together flaxseed and water. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans. 2.) Mix together all ingredients up to and including the zucchini, until combined. 3.) Mix together the remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips), add in wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips gently and split batter into 2 loaf pans. 4.) Bake at 350F for about 1hr or until a fork comes out clean. Cool and enjoy! (I didnt cool, it was doughy and delicious).
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 Loaves
Zucchini on FoodistaZucchini

4 comments:

Medifast Coupons said...

I was at the grocers yesterday and seen some beautiful looking zucchini's of course they are local grown but still I had to buy a few. Did some up on the bbq last night just in garlic and butter, yum, but now I have some left over to try in your bread recipe. Thanks so much for sharing and look forward to serving to my unsuspecting family, haha, healthy they are not, but they will be.

Karla said...

It does pack quite a few great ingredients into a really delicious tasting package. :-)

Cookie and Kate said...

Would you believe I've never tried zucchini bread? I think it's time. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Karla said...

I had never tried making it before either! This recipe was great, it was spicy enough for me (not really a sweet dessert person), but sweet and dessert-y enough for the veggie/healthy hater in my life. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...