Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rice and Beans, Inspired by Gallo Pinto

About a year ago, my beautiful and talented friend J. convinced me that going to Costa Rica would be a great way to celebrate my graduation.  Boy was she right! I loved every minute of the trip in spite of the 6.8 magnitude earthquake, tropical storm and spending 3 days without electricity or running water. 
I loved everything about my trip to Costa Rica. The people are amazing.  They are friendly and outgoing and love to share the CR culture.  The climate is my favorite (hot and humid) and the food.  Oh, the food!  It was out of this world.  Fresh fruit, veggies, and fish right out of the ocean were served at every meal.  There was a great variety of food, however at nearly every meal Gallo Pinto, the Costa Rica version of rice and beans, was served.  Thinking of Costa Rica and dreaming of going back inspired me to make my own rice and beans dish.  Although it is no where near authentic (next time I go to CR I'll get someone to teach me), I do use the popular Costa Rican sauce "Salsa Lizano".  If you are in the area and would like to try some I have a huge bottle and would be happy to provide you with an aliquot!  [aliquot is an awesome science word that I am trying to get to go "mainstream"] 


K's Rice and Beans
inspired by Costa Rican gallo pinto


For more GF-recipe ideas visit: http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/ especially on Wednesdays for lots of good ideas!  



print recipe

Gallo Pinto
A recipe for my take on rice and beans, inspired by Gallo Pinto from Costa Rica
Ingredients
  • 1C Rice (Brown or White), cooked
  • 1C Black Beans, cooked
  • 1/2C Cooking liquid from beans (or can)
  • 1 medium Onion, diced
  • 1 Hot pepper, minced
  • 1 Bell Pepper, diced
  • 1 Zucchini, diced
  • 3T Salsa Lizano (or Worchestershire)
  • 1T Hot Sauce
  • Salt and Pepper
Instructions
1.) Saute veggies in a small amount of oil or butter (I used vegan butter) over medium heat until veggies begin to soften and caramelize, about 10 minutes.


2.) Add rice, beans with liquid, Salsa Lizano, and hot sauce. Continue to saute until heated through and thoroughly mixed, about 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime. This dish was often paired with fried eggs, plantains, or grilled veggies in CR.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 Servings

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...