Friday, May 20, 2011

Jam Filled Cupcakes

 Katie, over at Chocolate Covered Katie (my go-to blog for dessert inspiration) asked for a round-up of newly tried vegan desserts. I just had to participate...any excuse to bake!!  I looked through my two new purchases, Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance for inspiration.  These cookbooks are great, by the way.  They are filled with simple, healthy and CHEAP vegan recipes.  Best of all, they have all been delicious so far! But I digress...

I saw this AWESOME looking recipe for "Jelly donut cupcakes" in Veganomicon.  I renamed the recipe "Jam Filled Cupcakes" because when I made them the jam didn't sink into the center like it did for the authors, however, they were still super delicious. 

Best of all? One bowl!!! 

  
You were supposed to be able to put the jam on top and the cake would rise around it... it happened about half way with mine, but if I remade them I would make a little well for the jam in the center of the cakes. 
  
A little bit of jam spillage..
 
All done and delicious!

print recipe
Jam Filled Cupcakes
Ingredients
  • 1C Soy Milk
  • 1tsp White Wine Vinegar
  • 1Tbs Cornstarch
  • 1 1/2C Flour (all purpose)
  • 3/4tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2tsp Nutmeg, ground
  • 1/2tsp Salt
  • 1/3C Vegetable Oil
  • 3/4C Granulated Sugar
  • 2tsp Vanilla
  • 1/3C Jam
  • Confectioners' Sugar
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 3502. Mix soy milk, vinegar and corn starch in a small bowl. Set aside. 3. In a large bowl mix four, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. 4. Fill 12 cupcake liners with the batter. 5. Add a small teaspoon of jam on top of each cupcake. 6. Bake 20 minutes, cool and dust with confectioners' sugar. Enjoy!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 12 cupcakes

6 comments:

Chocolate-Katie said...

Ooooo they're so super-cute!! :)

Karla said...

Thanks! Kinda made me want to try a peanut butter and jam cupcake. Mmm. Maybe some Peanut butter frosting on top of this one...

Hannah said...

Like a jelly doughnut, but oh so much better. Looks very tasty!

Jessica @Bakealittle said...

These look delicious! I just made something quite similar for my dad for his birthday! I topped with buttercream frosting but the powdered sugar really lets the cupcake speak for itself. Looks amazing

Jodie said...

Thanks for putting up so many awesome recipes! I'm totally going to try this one (and the pretzel dogs too)! Mmmm...

Karla said...

aww, thanks for reading Jodie. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...