English Professor (!?!?!?!!)
(I really have no clue why those last two were suggested).
Anyways, the point being that when people have suggested I become a professional baker it has always been in response to this recipe. I guess that means maybe I shouldn't give away the recipe!? Oh well. :-)
I originally came up with this recipe so that I could make something for my mother (who is gluten intolerant), however, it was so well received I have made it on numerous occasions for many different types of crowds.
This particular time I made it for my Labmate Jodie's birthday. Jodie likes spicy food and had just gotten back from a trip Ireland, so I changed the recipe a bit to reflect that. Sadly, I don't have pictures of this particular recipe..it was eaten too fast! (I found one picture on a labmates phone from before it was taken out of the pan!)
Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
adapted from epicurious
9tbs Unsalted Butter
12oz Semisweet Chocolate (or Chips), not the cheapest variety
6oz Bittersweet Chocolate (or Chips)
2tbs Irish Whiskey
1/4tsp Cayenne Pepper
1C Heavy Cream
8oz Semisweet (or Bittersweet) Chocolate
1tbs Irish Whiskey
1/2tsp Cayenne (or less for spice averse)
1. Preheat Oven to 350F and butter a 9-10" springform pan.
2. Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Once thoroughly dissolved remove from heat and let sit while preparing the rest of the cake.
3. Melt butter and 12oz semisweet + 6 oz bittersweet chocolate in a large saucepan over medium heat.
4. Using a whisk mix chocolate until smooth, the add sugar syrup, again whisking till smooth. Add eggs one at a time, whisking in between. Finally, add vanilla, 2tbs Irish Whiskey and 1/4 tsp cayenne.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes. Cool fully before topping with ganache.
6. For ganache, bring heavy cream to a boil and add remaining chocolate to melt. Once smooth, add 1tbs Irish Whiskey and 1/4 tsp cayenne. Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes, then pour over chilled cake. Chill assembled cake until set. (It is better the next day!)
PS. for those looking for a healthier cake I recently made this vegan apple pancake. It was awesome! Light, fluffy and rich tasting and SUPER good for you. I even preferred it over the chocolate cake. :-)
PPS. I want to be a college professor when I grow up. ;-)