Sunday, August 28, 2011

Yes I can! Rum Nectarine Preserves

Thanks to Allie @ the forgottenbeast for finally getting me to stop being lazy and start canning.  It honestly wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  The hardest part was finding the darn jars and lids.  I guess its not "canning season".  Except that it is, isn't it??

First, I chopped up a bunch of nectarines (my favorite summer fruit!!!).   Then added 1/2C of rum, some sugar, some lemon juice, pectin and started it boiling. 
After boiling off (some of) the booze I added the rest of the sugar, boiled for a minute, then placed the jam in hot sterile jars. I capped the suckers and put them in a big old pot of boiling water.  (I didn't have any sort of special equipment to do any of this, by the way, and the cans stood up just fine).
After about 10 minutes in the boiling water I took them out, put them  on the counter and pretty soon heard "Pop!" "Pop!"  I think that means I did something right.  :-) 
The nectarines and the rum are delicious together, but I think next time I would use less sugar.  It is a bit too sweet for my taste, although I don't have a big sweet tooth to begin with.  Does anyone know how to adjust the jam recipes for less sugar?


Nectarine Rum Preserves
4.5C chopped Nectarines
1/2C Rum
1 packet pectin (no sugar needed variety)
3C sugar
2Tbs Lemon Juice

1. Sterlize all equipment and jars (this makes enough for six 8oz jars).
2. Mix 1/4C of the sugar and pectin.  Add to nectarines, lemon juice and rum in a large saucepan and bring to a rapid boil over high heat.  Stir constantly!
3.  Add in remaining sugar and return to a boil for 1 minute.
4. Fill awaiting sterilized jars, cap and process (boil) in the big ol' pot of water for 10 minutes.
5. Allow to cool on the counter.  Lids that cannot be popped down mean that the canning went as planned and everything is sealed.  If it DOESN'T seal properly just store it in the fridge and eat right away.

For a more detailed canning description check out this post!

Up next?  Spicy SPICY dill pickles! 

EDIT:  Whoever found my blog searching for "Balsamic Terrier" ... we need to be friends.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...